Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Lectio Divina

       “Lectio Divina” or Holy Reading is a very early monastic practice. When I entered St. Walburg monastery in 1952, Lectio Divina was called “spiritual reading” and referred to a particular part of the daily schedule i.e., a half-hour in late afternoon. During that time an older Sister read from a spiritual book aloud in the community room/library to the whole community. Meantime, the hearers darned socks or embroidered or just listened. (At the time I thought the hand sewing was advocated so we wouldn’t fall asleep.) 
       Communal morning meditation was another daily spiritual exercise at 5:00 a.m. in chapel. It consisted of a Sister’s reading aloud from a spiritual book after which each Sister would meditate in silence for a half-hour. Quite a challenge for postulants! During my later years in community my perception and experiences of these two separate activities changed. As I studied and worked in various ministries I tried to integrate reading and meditation because both had the same goal, namely, love. 
       Recently I read a quote attributed to Dom Columba Marmion, 1858-1923, an eminent spiritual guide, author and the third Abbot of Maredsous Abbey, Belgium. The quote is: “Read under the eye of God until the heart is touched, then give yourself up to love.” These words really resonate with my daily exercise of lectio/meditation to open my mind and heart to the Word of God in scripture, liturgy, life experiences and conversation with Christ. It is indeed the prayer of holy reading under the eye of God which makes all the difference in my life of love. Sr. Martha Walther, OSB

      

1 comment:

  1. laura flippen tenzelJuly 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM

    thank you for a bit of history and the quote to live into. may the insight inspire my daily prayer.

    ReplyDelete