Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Retirement

          I have just retired from 50+ years of teaching. I loved my work but I knew it was time to say good-bye while my dignity was still somewhat intact! Little did I realize what a bushel basket full of emotions would ensue. When the first person  said “congratulations”, I was dumbstruck. 
          Now I can say “thank you” and be gracious about it.I do have more time to just “be” and that is awesome. But I know that retirement does not mean sitting around eating the proverbial bonbons. When asked, I usually say my new title is “help-as-needed”.  This past week, July 17, I got hit between the eyeballs by the story of Moses and a short commentary.  Moses approaches the burning bush and God tells him something like “I have heard the cry of the Israelites held in captivity.” Moses is probably thinking “Great! Now God will do something.”  Lo and behold, God turns it around and tells Moses he is the one who will be sent to free the people. Oh, my!!! But God also promises to be with Moses for the duration. 
          I am reminded and inspired by the Prologue to the Rule of St. Benedict. Among many things we are told that every time we begin a new work, we must pray to God to bring it to perfection. Secondly whatever we do in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord. Also we have many good gifts given us by God. So with a deep breath, fervent prayer, knowledge of God’s presence and my many blessings, I embrace the unknown future. And I ask your prayers as well.

Sr. Mary Rabe, OSB

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Sr. Mary! You are certainly in our prayers as you move into this next phase of your life.

    ReplyDelete