Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Grateful Heart

     I am not sure of the reason but especially in recent summers my awareness of a grateful heart has grown. And, this summer I am particularly grateful. 
     For the past ten years I have had the privilege of meeting weekly with men and women who are coping with a cancer and all that this diagnosis entails. Many in the group relate experiencing a desire to be with others who are going through similar experiences. In time individual concerns are expressed, group connections are made, bonds are formed, and community is created.
     In listening to them I experience a deeper appreciation for the preciousness of life and its fragility, being mindful of the beauty of each day and endeavoring then not to get caught up in the small stuff of life. Listening to their statements similar to “it is ironical but cancer taught me how to live;” or “if I hadn’t got cancer I don’t believe that I would have reconciled with my daughter;” or “I don’t take anything for granted” and “I try to live a full life as much as possible, and make every moment count” has had a deep impact in my life.
      With deepening awareness and commitment, I try to put into action each day what this group practices and Galen Guengeriich recommends “Breathe a prayer of gratitude. And give those you love an extra measure of affection. Life is fleeting and love is precious. Cherish both.”  
     Sr. Aileen Bankemper, OSB

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting that I should Eads your blog after finishing a phone conversation with my sister Beverly who was diagnosed with cancer. Previous to the call I visited Yvonne and for some reason I came back to my cottage very sad. AS I talked with Bev my problems disappeared. At one point I told that it was time for her to be a love and prayer acceptor.I really didn't know at first where that came but now I remember. It was Richard Rohr.





    ReplyDelete