Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Praise the Lord who heals the brokenhearted

An unlikely conversation
In an unlikely place:
A story from prison

Praise the Lord who heals the brokenhearted”
                                                Responsorial, Sunday, February 4th.

        “I know what Jesus tells us, but do I have to be her friend?” An inmate (I will call her Sue) posed this question in an ongoing group. She then described a recent incident “While I was speaking to another woman in the lunch line I heard my name shouted repeatedly by an inmate. She is a person who latches on and won’t let go. I responded to her from anger and now feel guilty.” Sue said she feels haunted as to how she ought to relate to this person and further commented: “In this prison there are several inmates whom no one seems to like. I call them ‘throw away people,’ because many seem in agreement and experience them as a pain, a nuisance, aggressive, bothersome and a burden. No one will defend them. I don’t know how to deal with these women myself. I feel the same way as the others, but I know in my heart it is not right to treat them this way. I feel bad for them, they have had difficult lives and yet when I try and befriend them, they consume all my time. What I really want to know is, just how far does the mandate of Jesus “to love your neighbor as yourself go?” This generated much conversation in the group. 
        In subsequent meetings Sue reported that she had made the decision to treat this woman with kindness and to be less reactive to her, and this behavior was proving to be helpful. She continued this practice, and at one meeting announced “You know, now that I have gotten to know this woman and understand a little more about her life I like her and feel myself opening up to becoming  her friend.” 
        Then it happened. A woman who rarely spoke in the group raised her hand and spoke in a soft halting voice “It is hard for me to talk, but I feel like I am one of those throw away people. Even as a child I felt that way. My family life was chaotic, so much arguing, fighting and meanness. I prayed and begged my parents to take me to an orphanage and leave me. That didn’t happen and my life only got worse.” In the room, it seemed as though time stopped. The others in the group embraced her with empathy and understanding. From that day forward she joined the group sharing more of herself as she grew in her own self-import and love.  
“Praise the Lord who heals the brokenhearted”
Sr. Aileen Bankemper, OSB



1 comment:

  1. This is worth reading a few times, thank you sister for this good message. I would say all of us in our growth have experienced "difficulty," some more than others, in certain situations, the trauma that people experience in small ways or greater ways, background, family and place. It all is connected to need, and in some people there is overwhelming desperate need to be loved. Prisoners especially in their hard situation. There are great crosses some people bear and it results in them appearing to be bothersome, aggressive etc. I find here the definition of a Holy Sister, whose love goes beyond the ordinary limits. Healing for the broken hearted will be the result. How patient and strong you must be. It does bear good fruit. Just one patient listening is a gift. How you must become the true Jesus. Help me also to grow towards such love. God bless OSB, amen.

    ReplyDelete