Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Is it contagious?

       Recently I was assigned to the infirmary, not as a caregiver, but as a patient. It happened so quickly!
      Two flu patients preceded me – and were quarantined –contagious! My illness was different, but required plenty of rest –and medicines.
      The kindnesses I’ve received were incredible: “Can I get you some breakfast?” “I’ll be taking you to the doctor at 10:30. Someone’s appointment has been cancelled.” “What clothes do you need?” And just before bed time, “Would you like some nice hot tea with honey?”
       So much kindness! Is it contagious? The best I can do is to be a patient patient, and be grateful.
       My room has a TV channel focused on the chapel. Quietly I see wheel chair after wheel chair file in. Everyone takes her place; the faithful community prays, and my seat is empty. Someone picks up a book that has slipped from a lap. Another Sister points to the correct page in the book. The leader’s closing prayer is fitting: “God of compassion, you are faithful and loving, supporting us when we fall, raising us up when we are bowed down.” I see it again as wheel chairs are gently pushed out, lights are dimmed, everyone has gone.
       Is kindness contagious? Is a smile contagious? Is patient endurance contagious? I am surrounded by them all, and I hope it’s catching!
      Help me, Lord, to be kind, to be patient, and unselfish.


Sr. Mary Carol Hellmann, OSB    

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and gracious Sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovey and uplifting post. Thank you, Sr. Mary Carol! Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made a bleak morning brighter. Maybe it is contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite teachers. Enjoy the rest...I will keep you in my prayers.

    Joelma Santoz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sister, amen to this good prayer. You use a difficult word contagious turning it upside down -- it is from Latin and used in the Vulgate Numbers 19.18 contagione -- a terrible word for a long time, signifying in the European languages the plague. Another great goodness in our lives is to be thankful that so many of the scourges of the past have been mastered -- thank God for the blessed medicine that helps us keep going in reasonable condition, so different to past ages. Soon we will be able to say that Leprosy does not effectively exist anymore throughout the world, a miracle in our lives, foretold long ago by Jesus in the Gospel. There is so much to be grateful for. Let me quote your prayer please "Help me, Lord, to be kind, to be patient, and unselfish, amen."

    ReplyDelete