Friday, January 5, 2018

Don’t All of Us Follow Stars?

            As I think about the Magi following a star, I think of the light of Christ as the major star in my life that will never change. Yet the day to day light of the Holy Spirit seems to present a new star periodically, and I have been graced to follow each of them. During my years from seven to thirteen, I pursued a career in dancing and drama; I was Hollywood bound. My parents supported me fully. Then a week before my thirteenth birthday, my father died of a heart attack and I lost interest in everything.
            Another star arose as I attended Holy Cross High School and became very active in various clubs that were led by one of my Benedictine teachers I was so impressed by the sisters’ interaction with one another and with the students involved. Then a new star arose that called me to follow the path of being a sister or a nurse. I entered St. Walburg Monastery three months after I graduated from high school. Had the community been very involved in hospital work, I would have asked to follow that course, but I ended up spending my life n the educational field.
Now I am just four months from my ninetieth birthday. Many of my last several years have been spent serving the infirm sisters. I feel as if I have a little hand in nursing! I am also adjusting to getting a glimpse of the star that will put me totally in touch with my Love, my God and Savior.


Sr. Victoria Eisenman, OSB

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister, thank you for this beautiful message. I felt grief in your words about your father, and offer my sympathy in that loss. It was long ago, but as one can remember, it could have been yesterday. Stars in the sky guide to the holy place. Angels in our lives help us to find God. Helping the infirm sisters in a world of older people -- good work is there. We can do more for brothers and sisters, and in the wider world for all elderly. God bless OSB! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete