Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Who could believe such a thing?

       Christmas is all about God’s love for us. God loves me! Unbelievable! Unbelievable? If the Word of God had not revealed this to us we could not have accepted it. We would not dare.
       Psalm 8 puts it this way: “When I look at your heavens, the work of your hands, the moon and the stars which you created—who are we that you should be mindful of us, that you should care for us?”
       My awe of God’s Creation has exploded to unimaginable levels by the findings of modern exploration of space about our galaxy, other galaxies, even perhaps those with planets capable of supporting living beings similar to us. Whoa! This is way beyond my imagination and I admit to being a bit humbled to even ponder how this great and awesome God would care for me. And yet I believe it to be. Not because my own limited understanding has it figured out, but because my forebears in faith have entrusted this message to me through the power of the Holy Spirit. And my companions in the company of Jesus share this faith with me.
       No wonder that Christmas is a time for us to gather together and remind ourselves of the Great Story of Love Incarnate.

      Sr. Dorothy Schuette, OSB


3 comments:

  1. Very fine, Dorothy. Thanks. Called you but got a message that phone not in order. Blessed holiday and 2018. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear sister for this joyful word. Merry Christmas on the Holy Innocents! Hallelujah for the gift of life, the miracle of creation, revealed in such complexity in the last 200 years of scientific advance. Thank you God also for making real the healing miracles of Jesus in our own hands in the hospitals. Goodbye to TB and goodbye to Leprosy and Polio. Thank you God for telling us that the time has come to love one another more fully, and heal within our lives the traumas of our history. That question of the Martians and Venetians seems a silly one, but actually it is very important -- they appeared in the sky, shining with light, pointing the way -- a ladder, a fire burning, a star -- where did they come from? From the sky (heaven) they said. God made them and He made us. How little we still understand and how much better to be confident in the love that made us, deep within the core of creation, Mother and Father and Family -- Mother Earth herself is the greatest gift of all. God bless OSB amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to all you have said. I feel the same way. You have put words to what I have pondered for a long time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete