Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Mary’s Fiat and Ours


     In a reflection on Mary’s fiat, Fr. James Martin S.J. states that “the feast has tremendous significance because it marks the very starting point of the incarnation.” I also think that its significance is reflected in the fact that it is celebrated daily around the world every time someone prays a Hail Mary or 53 of them while praying the rosary that recalls the Annunciation and all the mysteries in the life of Mary and her Son.  
     I found it delightful reflecting on today’s Gospel reading as I pondered how the call of God is reflected in the events of each one’s life. “Hail Mary, full of grace! The Lord is with you.” We. too, know that God is with each of us.
     My reflection on this feast reminded me that God has a plan for every life and reveals it in some way. I became aware of this when my father died of a massive heart attack when he was 41 and I was 13. I immediately quit all my lessons in tap, toe, acrobats, ballet, drama and piano. My study to become a professional entertainer died the moment Dad died.
    I believe the Spirit fell upon my 8th grade teacher, Sr. Rita Kettman, O.S.B. when she heard that I was going to Holmes High School, and she called to tell me that she could arrange for me to go to Holy Cross High School for Parish tuition-- $3.00 per month. “Yes, we could afford that.”
     I loved all the Benedictine sisters who taught me in elementary school, and working so closely with them on school projects in high school, I loved and admired them all the more. In my junior year. the Spirit led me to consider a vocation to religious life and soon I knew that God was calling me, and I was sure. I praise God that now at 91 yrs. old, I am still very sure of my vocation.
     When reading Scripture stories and reflecting on how elements apply to my life, I am sometimes overwhelmed in the ways God has entered my life. On this feast I pray with Mary, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices with God my Savior.”

    Sr. Victoria Eisenman, OSB

5 comments:

  1. Your words are beautiful and inspiring!

    God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sharing, Sr Victoria. I felt like I was having a personal visit with you and witnesssing the story of your faith.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have quite a story of focus and commitment Sister. Wonderful to look back at your age and know that your calling was from God and one you cherish to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, such a blessing to hear how the strong foundation of your calling developed. Thank you for sharing it. Dedicating all my Hail Mary’s to you today, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sister, thank you for inviting me to think on March 25 the feast of the Annunciation. From my youth I was fascinated by this encounter, collecting postcards of paintings showing Gabriel with his lily arriving before Mary, and Mary often turning partly away. What is Mary's Fiat? The word fiat is most famous from the Lord's Prayer. Mary says, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word” (Luke 1:38). Dixit autem Maria: Ecce ancilla Domini: fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum. These days I am delighted by mistranslations. The Vulgate gives us two very good ones in this passage. We have the mistranslation of Ave (Hail = Salute to the highest as to an Emperor) translating Chaire (Greetings = Rejoice!) Jerome has made Mary a Queen with the Ave, pointing to the future, to Helena saintly Queen, and Mary in the Churches growth. She becomes Queen of Angels. Ave Regina Salve Maria. The second mistranslation is the well known one of ancilla translating "doule" in the Greek. Doule is a female slave; ancilla a much softer gentler word. Doule is harsh in nuance but complete in meaning. Mary belongs to God the Father in total love and surrender, she is not a handmaid but completely belonging to him. It is about possession. As Jesus is completely filled by the Holy Spirit, so is Mary herself. I am for God and with God totally. Paul says the same. But for Jerome, call Mary a doule a slave? Roman society was extremely class and rank conscious. Slave class and Free (noble) class. Can we have the Mother of God calling herself a slave? No, it may harm the Churches growth. Would it harm us today? No, the deeper knowledge brings us power and enrichment, we learn both the languages and they live together. Behold, the Spirit is with us, healing the rift between West and East, thanks be to God amen. God bless OSB Happy Easter soon.

    ReplyDelete