Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Giants of Stability/Pillars of Strength


Though we knew it was necessary, the mighty oak trees had to go! As the sound of a saw cutting into our faithful sentinels pierced the quiet of our monastic setting, a sadness permeated our conversation. The eight of them shaded the walkway of our front entrance like the gothic arches of the cathedral, welcoming visitors and worshippers, entering beneath the beautiful stained-glass window leading to our chapel. One by one, they crashed to the ground, the pieces cut up and carried away to become logs for someone’s fireplace. Suddenly, new sunlight was streaming into the building, but nearly blinding me later in the day as I returned from school. It was all so barren!
These trees had been here all my life, as well as for the other members of my community. I was reminded of the Sisters’ tombstones, Sisters whom I considered among the strongest leaders I had known, and who have passed on to their eternal reward:
·         Sr Vincentia, first director/principal of our academy, much beloved by all her students. She greeted me so warmly when I first visited here as an eighth grader; she was already elderly then and I could tell by the reverence in the voice of the Sister who introduced me, that she was highly respected. In awe, I visited her on her deathbed when I was a very young Sister and treasure those moments. Later I heard the legend of her demand to the Ku Klux Klan to leave our property as she brandished her brother’s pistol, protecting her girls in the school.
·         There was Sr. Hilda, member of the first graduating class of our academy who, as prioress, took out a million- dollar mortgage to add a new building to it. During her term the year of our centennial celebration occurred: 266 members were listed in the Challenge, a commemorative publication of 1959!
·          I remember Srs Miriam and Aileen, holding the longest tenure in leadership at the academy.  Girls of my generation always think of them together, one was principal, the other was directress of the boarding school. Like the one oak tree that split into two trunks about half way up, we always named them together.
·         There was Sr. Benedict who led us through the changes following Vatican II and had the foresight to build a senior citizen complex with nursing home at the east end of our property.
·         Sr.  Aurelia was my principal when we opened the new St.  Pius X school on Dudley Road, now one of the largest schools in our diocese;
·         Sr. Elizabeth was a marvelous math teacher, who could fix just about anything that needed repair in those days, even the elevator!
·         Sr. Callista was a hardy nurse who traveled the Ky. Mountain area ministering to the sick along the way.
·         And there are others, but that gives me eight to remember with gratitude.  They left much behind as a legacy for us.
Like their tombstones, we had eight large stumps in our front yard, more than a yard in diameter.  The roots may still exist, hidden beneath the smooth surface, waiting for new plantings.  But we have to go on without those pillars of strength.

Sr. Mary Carol Hellmann, OSB

4 comments:

  1. Your written words describe the demise of those trees beautifully and with great reverence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sister, thank for this meditation and especially for sharing with me the memories of the saints of your congregation. People say we have to cut down the trees, and so it was in the old days, the Benedict saint in Germany cut down the pagan oak, a miracle of holy strength. In this age of the third millennium we may receive unexpected strength for our own survival from those trees -- they know as we believe that life is rooted in spirit and there are holy powers around us that supply the miracle of life. In Asia? In Africa? In Asia we have some ancient and wise traditions (China, Japan) which enrich our Christianity. China is a world the Lord created but did not talk about in the Bible. When I studied the analects of Confucius I found evidence of His advanced thinking promoting love. Is Kǒng Fūzǐ 孔夫子 a bad tree? No. OSB is a mighty oak, branches stretching from the West to the East. We come to a time when we must protect the best, and gather ourselves together to do that. God bless OSB amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sr Mary Carol
    Thank you for such a beautiful refection on the oaks. I was so sad to see them go, but your writing has helped put them into perspective for me.
    mcw

    ReplyDelete