Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Being a Good Samaritan Today

The gospel reading for Sunday, July15th was the parable of the Good Samaritan. In the parable we know that the Levite and the priest passed by the injured man; the Samaritan didn’t.  In a sermon given by Martin Luther King Jr. he comments “The first question that the priest asked, the first question that the Levite asked was, ‘If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me? [Would what happened to this stranger on this dangerous road also happen to me?] “The Good Samaritan came by and turned the question around “If I do NOT stop to help this man, what will happen to HIM?” Will the injured man be left here to die? And, at another level, a personal one I ask myself “what becomes of me, what becomes of my soul if I don’t help my unfortunate neighbor?” Several recent events at our southern border have an ongoing disquieting effect on me. I can’t get them out or my mind nor ought I.

A woman who had spent several weeks at the border told me the story of an encounter she had with a young mother from Honduras seeking asylum. The mother related that her twelve-year-old son is the age that gangs “recruit” boys. She knows of devastating consequences including death that occur to these young “recruits.” Out of fear and love for her son and his life, they made the arduous trip to the US border to find safety, something any mother would do.  As the woman continued telling me the story she wept. She told of horrific atrocities that the mother shared that continue to occur in Honduras. I am choosing not to write about them in this blog And I wonder what becomes of me, my soul if I don’t do something? And I wonder what becomes of our nation if we don’t recognize the Christ in the suffering humanity at our borders?
Photo from
 https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/childrens-concentration-camp/

NPR reported Sofi, a three–year-old Honduran suffering from a major heart ailment. This toddler was asked to choose which parent did she want to stay with her in the US as only one parent was allowed to stay. The rest of the family forced to go back to the Mexican border. Asking a three year to make this kind of choice? What? Then there are the children taken and separated from parents living in squalid conditions. Don’t we all realize the devastating consequences that occur to children who are taken from their parents? And what about the men of all ages, crammed and locked in cages, sleeping on concrete floor with primitive sanitary conditions. They have the look and the feel of concentration camps. I can’t get them out or my mind nor ought I.

At a recent immigration rally a young dreamer, a college grad gave witness to her story. She lives in fear that her parents and loved ones who have lived here for many years are now threatened with deportation because as a country we still have not addressed our immigration problems.
The words of Jesus “I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” Matt: 25.35-36 stay with me, haunt me because of what is occurring at our borders.  I think of Benedict’s words on the reception of guests: “Great care and concern are to be shown in receiving poor people and pilgrims, because in them more particularly Christ is received; our very awe of the rich guarantees them special respect.” RB 53.15

         Will we as a nation listen to the suffering of our sisters and brothers and find ways to live the Gospel mandate – “love your neighbor as yourself”?  What becomes of me, my soul if I don’t do something? What becomes of our nation if we don’t recognize the Christ in the suffering humanity at our borders?

2 comments:

  1. This is such a difficult issue because most of the world wants to come here. We give so much money to underdeveloped countries and yet there doesn't seem to be any accountability/tracking. We should be helping countries take care of their people. People and money to ensure what is done with the money! To learn the wife of a dictator has a closet the size of my house filled with expensive shoes - that is a disgrace. Until we demand accountability and transparency, sadly not much good can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sister, thank you for this information about the suffering of Jesus Christ. the good Samaritan, like Mother Teresa in the Calcutta street, was allowed to see a clear choice for love -- help the dying suffering one that is before me. It may trouble me, I may catch an infectious disease, I may be the next one they rob, but at least I know I have served the Lord. Most often the situation is much more complex. We are saturated by information which is probably not true or maybe only partly true. What does OSB know about the truth of the situation? Can we get the truth from people we can really trust? Sometimes the people who come to us for compassion appear to be 100 per cent bona fide, and yet they are an instrument to harm us. The devil uses our love to hurt ourselves, a terrible truth about him. I would ask the true friends who are in the region to do something, and I would send them support, or even some of our good ones to assist. In these days, when the continuity and survival of the monastic families is an increasing priority, we must surely respond to calls for help but not over-risk ourselves, and be cautious in our giving, for we must keep on going in our lives of holy service (though sometimes it is certainly necessary to risk ourselves to save others and save our own lives as happened during the French Revolution etc). At the same time, when we respond with love, the Lord will grant us the help we ourselves require. God bless OSB amen

    ReplyDelete