Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Curls and God

Born with naturally curly red hair I’ve had a mixed relationship with my locks over the years. As I’ve been attempting to manage my curls in our hot and humid Kentucky weather I’ve seen many similarities to my journey with God.  The tools needed vary by the day, it might be a comb or just hands to scrunch. In my prayer tools include a bible, spiritual book, movement or a journal. Mousse, gel or leave-in conditioner set the foundation for frizz free curls (most of the time) while our chapel, nature or my room provide a setting for me to listen and be with God. 
There is an element of searching whether it be to recognize God’s all-pervading presence or finding that “perfect” styling product  Struggles and unexpected developments occur whether it be sitting in silence with seemingly no response, a moment of grace, or a controlled style which suddenly becomes frizz the moment I walk outside.   Relationships are invaluable in managing the changing dynamics. My Benedictine community, family, friends and mentors (and sometimes even strangers) are invaluable in deepening my relationship with God.  I have a long-term relationship with a hairdresser who keeps my curls in shape like no one I’ve met before, she’s worth the extra drive for the care she provides.  
             So whether the days bring praising, cursing or something in between I am grateful for the journey which deepens my relationship with God.  I’ve also grown in appreciation for the character and unpredictableness of my curls over the years.  What a gift life is in all its twisting, turning and unfolding!  

                              Sr. Kimberly Porter, OSB            

3 comments:

  1. Amen Sister Kim Just work and Thank God with what God has provided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, as St. Benedict teaches, God challenges us with all our "everyday issues!"
    From a fellow naturally curly haired child of God :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear sister, thank for this interesting topic which remains a vital issue for sisters -- who would know about a sister's curls except perhaps her own sisters within the walls, I would not know about them. I confess immediately that I am attracted to beautiful hair, whether human or even the Bengal cat which appeared on the internet the other day out of nowhere. Curly hair for some has been regretted but it is a true glory -- but am I worthy enough to gaze upon it? I rather like those white starched wimples with wings, that some Polish sisters used to wear, but OSB does not use them. How about the Hijab for day to day. They look great. They come in all colours. I strongly recommend keeping the curls in good condition but only allowing the mother superior to see them. She will know what to do. God bless OSB amen.

    ReplyDelete