Tuesday, October 29, 2013

What a Litany!

       As the feast of All Saints was approaching, I wanted to think of a special way to celebrate it this year. The first thing that came to my mind was the Litany of Saints. I remembered hearing that litany at the annual Easter Vigil ever since I was in the seventh grade! 
     I discovered that the litany was used in Rome as far back as 590 and that it is one of only six litanies authorized by the Holy Sea for public services. An abbreviated form is used at infant baptisms. A longer form is used at the election of a New Pope, at the blessing of an abbot, the dedication of a Church and at some religious professions.
     As I read the Litany of Saints, I began to feel overwhelmed. I felt as if I was trying to count the stars in the universe or the sands on a sea shore. The litany includes three intercessions to Mary, and at least 50 saints are mentioned by name. Then saints are grouped into categories, e.g.,  all ye holy monks, holy priests and  levites, holy bishops and confessors, holy doctors, holy martyrs, holy virgins and widows, holy men and women, angels, archangels, apostles, evangelists, innocents, patriarchs and prophets. 
     After looking at all the categories listed, I realized that one of the categories includes all of us who strive to live a holy life and our holy deceased loved ones!
Only a graced and Spirit-filled author could compose such a comprehensive litany.
When I pray the litany I’m going to add the names of some holy people that are part of my life. I enjoy that idea, but I may need to pray the litany in parts. 
      Writing this post became a gift for me as I have never before experienced identifying  at such depth with the entire Communion of  Saints.
     Sr. Victoria Eisenman, OSB


1 comment:

  1. Laura Flippen TenzelOctober 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM

    Grateful for the history on the Litany of the Saints and I, too, want to acknowledge the importance of the saints in my life. High on my list are the sisters and oblates at St. Walburg Monastery.

    ReplyDelete