Thursday, October 3, 2013

Witness

       As some local readers may know, there’s currently a lot of road work, with one-lane traffic in Cincinnati, and in this instance, on Liberty Street in Over the Rhine. As I sat at a red light last Friday, I saw a man and woman and behind them, a small, frail-looking lady pulling her hand cart, start across the wide street.  My eyes checked out the traffic up ahead, the pedestrians on the sidewalk and the nearby houses.  Glancing back at the crosswalk, I realized that the woman with the handcart had fallen to the ground in the construction lane.  At the same instant, I saw two people, one black, one white,  move toward the intersection.  The woman hurried out into the street before the man got to it. She was at the woman’s side as the light turned green.  As I stepped on the gas, I knew I had witnessed the Gospel in action.  And it made my heart sing. 
            Sr. Sharon Portwood, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment