Thursday, August 27, 2020

Life Has Gone to the Dogs

Yesterday, August 26, was National Dog Day. It sounds like another made up celebration to me, but that’s ok. I don’t mind. We need things to celebrate these days. And I surely didn’t mind celebrating National Peach Pie Day this past Monday!

        If a person meets me for the first time, chances are I will tell you about my little dogs, Murphy and Trudy. While not with me now at the monastery, the two of them have been my faithful friends for fifteen and ten years. I took care of them and they took care of me. They “helped” take care of me after surgeries refusing to leave my side. They instinctively knew I needed attention when I was sad, were always willing to enjoy a walk, and traveled to the University of Notre Dame several times to visit a friend (of course, Murphy is an Irish fan!). We were a pack. AND they get super excited for me doing nothing more than showing up. Unconditional love is grand!
       
       So why is something ‘going to the dogs” an idiom with a negative connotation? A little research traces this back to ancient China. City walls not only kept out the enemy, but also kept out the dogs which were banished by law. As garbage was dumped over the walls, the dogs managed to survive. But their survival depended on more than just food. For a dog, survival is about belonging to a pack. And as the packs increased, they dominated the lands beyond the walls. When criminals were shown the door out of the city, they quite literally had gone to the dogs and to a much less desirable life.           
       Psalm 59:14-15 compares our foes to dogs; “Each evening they come back, howling like dogs and prowling about the city. They roam about for food, and growl if they do not get their fill.” The psalm continues to sing praises to God, our fortress, who shows us steadfast love. The fortress provides safety--even from a vicious pack of dogs (Occasionally, I hear the coyotes running the hillside at night. Blood-chilling!). Dogs were not looked upon highly in biblical times.

       So, some questions I am thinking about: Which side of the wall am I on today? Is my pack surviving or is it thriving? Am I relying on God, my fortress, or trying to be the lone wolf so to speak?
       Murphy and Trudy give me some answers. Stay with the pack. Put faith in the one who takes care of you. And that one is excited when I just show up. Unconditional love. Maybe I have gone to the dogs!

          Sr. Eileen O'Connell, OSB
 

6 comments:

  1. Great blog! It filled me with many emotions! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your reflection on dogs!! Excellent piece of spiritual writing. Please write more often. Thank you! We Benedictines need to keep in our pack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo to Murphy, Trudy and all our wonderful dog companions who have given us unconditional love! What a gift they are to us! Thank you for your genuine reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sister, thank you for this good piece of writing. You remind us that not all biblical gifts are to be accepted (dogs = unclean beasts = no!). Perhaps you have found a key to an alternative point of view which can enrich our faith. On my wall I have a picture of a Labrador sent to me by the Guide Dogs Association and I have often gazed on it and thought an angel was sitting there in disguise, gazing out of patient loving eyes, bearing a hard training regime and giving so much love. In this stage of human evolution surely Jerusalem must learn from India — the idea that we all have souls, the idea of a world soul, that God’s love is unlimited in this respect also. We grew up with a concept of heaven lacking those beings who had often given us the greatest love and sacrifice. We know scientifically that mammals have feelings, thoughts, affections, and reasons. Etc etc. Next step, the Minimi of Calabria, the less known Francis of P. Diet of lentils and spinach and beans. Will I climb so high? God bless OSB. Saint Monica Saint Augustine pray for us amen.

    ReplyDelete