Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Hope


          When I went to college, I had to take a couple of fine art classes.The choices were between drama, music or art.  I knew drama or music would not be my best venture so I chose art.  I must
say that I actually enjoyed the class and wound up getting an A in it! (The teacher graded on where we were at the beginning of class and where we progressed by the end of the class). I had nowhere  to go but up.

          I had to hope that I would succeed in Art. In talking with my sister, I remember saying, “Do you remember I think our grandfather was artistic maybe it is in the genes.” My Sister quickly replied that all her jeans were in the wash! What is this memory teaching me at this particular time?

          It is now August and we are months into the COVID 19 pandemic with no end in sight. We are on a new venture. e have safety choices to make, will we choose wisely?  Are we able to find our
best method of coping?  We question and pray for a favorable outcome.  Perhaps like my art class, we must not give up hope. Perhaps in persevering, we will discover our right brain in adjusting to new situations. The virtue of hope will not disappoint us and hopefully it will lead us closer to God, whose genes we all possess.

                                Sr. Barbara Woeste, OSB



2 comments:

  1. Thank you... a nice reminder for fortitude, tenacity, perseverance... and prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sister, thank you for this good word about choices, genes and heaven. I am just preparing to teach Tennyson for the first time, and I discover some things I don't like (hostility to viewpoints I love) and I risked jumping to hasty condemnations, but when I read deeper and closer, I found a love for the viewpoints I love, hidden out of sight. He was such a prominent public figure with such a popularity reaching round the whole globe, a superstar for the media in that age -- he had to be what he had to be. His last poem (not actually his last) which he asked always to be placed last, gives us a glorious hint. There is no obvious mention of God, but He is there -- the Holy Trinity, and a sign at the end -- is that left to right or right to left, the sunrise or the sunset, or midday? God bless OSB amen Holy Trinity be our strength and protection amen

    ReplyDelete