Wednesday, June 17, 2020

My Ongoing Conversion from Prejudice


           I didn’t know that I was prejudiced until I was about 8 years old and may not have comprehended the meaning of being very prejudiced. My great-great aunt lived with us and we were attending  St Johns Children’s Home annual picnic. When we went into the lady’s room an elderly black lady was cleaning, and my aunt obviously knew her from  the small group of black people who lived two  blocks from us. They shook hands and were chatting when my aunt turned to me and said, “Jean, shake hands with the lady.” My stomach did a little flip, but I knew I had to do what Aunt Vennie told me to do. My first thought was how to find another lady’s room where I could wash my hands! 
           Two years later I was working at a Bingo Hall where my family was responsible for the concessions. My brother and I (ages 8 and 10 ) walked among the players selling soft drinks, snacks, and beer (that’s right-beer.) Some young adults volunteered to change cards and call bingos back to check for accuracy. One of the young men was black and came to tell me good-by because it was his last night. Gentleman that he was, he extended his hand and I gave him mine, not because someone told me to but because I knew it was the right thing to do. At that moment, I became determined to overcome  my prejudice --easier said than done.
           I clearly remember that my family would not attend a movie in Cincinnati because we might need to sit next to a black person. Black people were not welcome in movies or restaurants in Kentucky until 1953. Even then, I told myself that we avoided blacks  by choice, not because we were prejudiced
           Years later when I attended Catholic University for my masters degree, there were several black sisters in attendance. My opportunity had come. I found it easy to chat with them and even made a couple friends. Then one evening a black friend asked me to go swimming with her in the  University pool. I found it easy to agree. That evening I got in the pool first. To my amazement,  when my friend dove in, my stomach did another flip and the water around her dive seemed to turn chocolate. When I got out of the pool and met my friend, I knew in my heart that the illusion of chocolate water  was an end to my prejudice.  It is such a blessing. Color is no longer an issue for me when meeting anyone. Praise God!
                                    Sr. Victoria Eisenman, OSB

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister, thank you for this good information about a difficult topic. It is important to remember that racial prejudice (instinctual fears of other tribal groups, the more so when they look different) has been a feature of all human groups for more than a hundred thousand years. It is found amongst all peoples and in all societies. In the past, long ago, it was perfectly good sense to fear and avoid unknown people. Generally the only reason you would see them in the village was because they were pirates or pillagers. Christian society from the beginning, according to the faith, was told to abandon racist thinking. As with many things, instinct was good in ancient situations, but not in societies which are organized on moral rules. Segregation was a strong theme in the 20th century, both the increase in segregation (division of India and Pakistan) and the removal of it in the USA. South Africa. All my life I have thought that a mixed integrated properly guided society is the ideal -- where we sit side by side, all races, genders, types, faiths. I have always thought that this must be the direction of God -- that we are able to live our love in such a good way -- but something might be lost -- why did they "live apart," why did they teach that "the lower orders are rabble," why did they say "don't touch them, don't speak to them?" It was the only way to survive -- and yet the sense of apartness, the sense of superiority, to what evil it can lead. How can we be apart in some respects, and fully integrated and in love with people, in others? I loved to hear about your going swimming, what a beautiful and good thing to do, happy sharing together, may it build such good memories, amen. God bless OSB, Sacred Heart of Jesus bless us, amen

    ReplyDelete