Wednesday, March 27, 2019

So how is your Lent going?


          Sunday marks the midpoint of Lent. Have you ever had the experience that with the exception of Lent time goes quickly? Staying with our Lenten practices when multiple temptations set in makes the season, even for the strong,a challenge. We can take some comfort knowing that even Jesus was tempted during his forty days. For me"the demon of acedia – “sloth or laziness” can set in. The early monastics referred to it as the “noonday demon –the one who makes it seem that the sun barely moves.
Keeping close to the daily liturgical readings, pondering and responding to them provides an antidote.
One message from Wednesday’s reading is to “observe God’s teaching and we will have life.”(Deut. 4:6) How does my life reflect how I am observing God’s teaching?
          Tomorrow, God speaks to us directly “listen to my voice then I will be your God and you will be my people.”(Jer. 7:23) How do I listen with the ear of the heart? How have I become one of God’s faithful people?
On Friday, Hosea reminds us that we “have collapsed through our guilt” (Hos. 14:2)and it is our good and gracious God who “heals our defections,and loves us freely.”(Hos14:4)And in turn, Jesus, in the Gospel for today is explicit in his expectation of us: “You must love God with your whole heart. . . AND you must love your neighbor as yourself.(Mark 12:29, 31)That is a very tall order and ought to draw one out of acedia!
On Saturday, Hosea again reminds us, God is much more interested in our love rather than our sacrifices. (Hos. 6:6)If our Lenten practices are not leading us to be greater lovers we are missing the point of Jesus’ presence among us.
 The Sunday Gospel exemplifies that love, the merciful father daily scouring the fields and “while his son was still a long way off caught sight of him, and was filled with compassion.”(Luke 15:21)The father exudes joy and warmly embraces his errant son and welcomes him home.
          God’s fidelity and love is so much greater than our malaise. May a renewed zeal drive us into the remaining weeks of Lent.

         Sr. Aileen Bankemper, OSB

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister thank for these good words. I have just returned from an expedition to Kyoto visiting ancient shrines and watching traditional dance -- not Lenten practices? Conscious of Lent, and with some conflict in my thought, I went forward in all honesty to speak a word of love and friendship (individually, and with the young people I was guiding to these heritage sites) & this was my Lenten work. Also I admit I was seeking to understand their beauty. I found that their roof needed restoration and the cost was astronomical -- 1200 years of history, the founding of Kyoto, they were there then. God's love helped me in my understanding as I saw the beauty of their buildings and felt their warmth and friendship. I supported them with a little and I pray for them with my love. In Japan these old places must survive and we must live together. How can we do that? We must support one another. Back to the one command and stay there. Love the neighbour. Do not move from it. I love you, my dear, and thank you for allowing me to be in this good land. How else can I be a Christian? God bless OSB amen

    ReplyDelete