Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Navigation Practices

                       Life recently has tossed me several unexpected twist and turns with lots of ambiguity and no quick resolution.   In trying to cope I’ve had to be intentional about increasing practices which give me strength to navigate.  Below are some practices I’ve been using.  I find having several options is good in case I need more than one or something is not available. 
  • ·         Stretching … I find it grounds me and releases the tension stored in my body
  • ·         Window shopping…cost nothing and you see interesting things.  Pier I and Target are among my favorite spots to look
  • ·         Be with God…God welcomes our prayers, pleas, cursing, and silence
  • ·         Breathe deeply…often and all the way down to the belly to create space and foster relaxation
  • ·         Music…my current favorite is an Aretha Franklin playlist which runs the gamut of emotions.         
    •         Monopoly with friends…passes hours of fun and provides distraction
      from the day to day (love the National Park version)
    • ·         Talking with friends…their willingness to listen, offer a different perspective or just be with me in the muck is priceless
    • ·         Practice gratitude…notice the little things each day a kindness, something of beauty, or sometimes safely making it to the end of the day
    • ·         Reading…I usually a variety of fiction, non-fiction, or just interesting books from the library pro
    • ·         Make space…when life is stressful we need some space to just be or perhaps even rest so we can rejuvenate and return to the tasks at hand

    Whatever space in which you find yourself I encourage you to think about the practices which help you navigate the changing circumstances of life.  Blessings on your journey! 


             Sr. Kimberly Porter, OSB


    1 comment:

    1. Dear Sister, thank you for sharing the feeling of struggle. I would be glad to sing prayers to bring peace and calm, the Jesus Prayer, or the Ave Maria in Vietnamese or Arabic, or "I love you Lord my Strength, amen" in Latin and Greek alternating. Please delete cursing from the list. This is the constant temptation when we are distressed. No cursing. Help me Lord to blame no one. Help us all to blame no one. Help us to increase our forgiveness and patience, amen. God bring OSB peace and joy and strength, onward to Happy Easter amen.

      ReplyDelete