Thursday, November 30, 2017

Reflecting on the First Sunday of Advent

Musings on the gospel of the First Sunday of Advent (Mark 13:33-37), based on the model of Hildegard of Bingen

         Jesus said to his disciples: a circle of men and woman, Jesus sitting with them; perhaps several concentric circles.
         Be watchful! Be alert! St. Benedict would say “Ausculta! Listen!” I often think of the German achtung! which very sound makes me sit taller.
         You do not know when the time will come. Should I fear as some in our culture preach or should I be joyful for the kingdom is near?
         It is like a man traveling abroad. Strangely, I never wished to do that.
        He leaves home and places his servants in charge, each with his own work, Maybe because there are too many preparations.  Just leaving town for the weekend carries its burdens.
        and orders the gatekeeper to be on the watch. Let someone else carry the responsibilities. Perhaps the traveler is someone else and I am the gatekeeper. Community calls forth many gifts.
       Watch, therefore; That word is back again. Are we slow at accepting the message; do I need to change some behaviors?
       you do not know when the lord of the house is coming, St. Benedict bids us to welcome the guest as Christ and provides a porter to welcome the guest.
      whether in the evening, or at midnight, We don’t always get to pick the time of interruptions or inconveniences.
       or at cockcrow, Sorry, but I hate that sound.
       or in the morning. May I welcome the day and praise God for the opportunities it will bring.
      May he not come suddenly and find you sleeping.  Or find me reluctant to respond.
      what I say to you, I say to all: ’Watch!’’’ Thank God, we are in this together. .
             Sr. Mary Rabe, OSB

1 comment:

  1. Dear sister thank you for this interesting meditation and focus on the Mark passage 13.33. that word cockcrow is interesting. alektorophonia lit. call of the rooster = time is early am. Chickens and roosters were comparatively new arrivals to Palestine, they are not in the OT, coming from the East with the Greek armies [?] they did not fly, so that they were not "birds of the air" but "birds of the earth." You must be right that the Jews probably found the cockcrow an unnerving devilish cry in the early morning. How different to how we feel in general. For me it is a call to the dawn, and I have always felt it holy. The Greek word Alektor perhaps hints at something for the Jews, however. The name of a demon? Perhaps the bird symbolized the Roman soldiers, who would have used chickens in their camps and quarters, perhaps it suggested the Centurion with his splendid plumed helmet and expensive armour. The Greeks (re Alexander) were also rather rooster-ish in their beauty. Jesus turns it upside-down: I am a chicken, he says, under my wings you are safe. God bless OSB, Christmas soon.

    ReplyDelete