Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Being Pollyana?

Just recently I was called “too Pollyanna” when raising hope and possibilities in a challenging situation.  My optimistic perspective came not from a place of naivety or denial but from a belief in the innate potential and resiliency of the individuals involved. It came from an attitude of choosing not to get stuck in the moment but to take note and see what could be possible. To identify what strengths lie hidden waiting to be untapped. It is about a stance which seeks to understand and foster compassion.
The fear, violence and disconnect of our times give us an opportunity to choose how we will respond. To choose to connect with our neighbors, greet the stranger we meet, and engage in practices (e.g. prayer, meditation, volunteering) which increase our compassion capacity. To find ways to celebrate what is right in the small daily moments and encourage one another on this journey. 

We each control our piece, our attitude and our way of interacting with the world. I will continue to be “too Pollyanna” if it sends out positivity, connects me to others (both far and near), and celebrates the strengths and possibilities in this world. And on those days when my optimism is tinged with weariness I will take a deep breath, offer a prayer and regroup for another day of raising hope and the possibilities of what can be.   
Sr. Kimberly Porter, OSB

4 comments:

  1. Right on...there is always hope, though maybe not exactly what you were Hoping for. Like my Father always told me;"You pack your own chute."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all for POSITIVITY, which is helping my husband and I get well a bit faster today after all the recent travel via air and sea! We will get better, we will get better, and thank you Lord for helping us through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a word of criticism is a word of praise. pollyanna "someone who thinks good things will always happen and finds something good in everything" must be the definition of a brother or sister for Christ. Likewise naivety & denial are the armor of the innocent. I will be naive about them and I will deny them in every way. It is more important to remain as you truly are, and I want to be like that too. We get hurt, though. God bless OSB and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never lose your positivity! One of the first things that I would say if someone asked me to describe you is "always smiling and shining!" You bring light to others which is definitely a way to help them see Christ! I would take being called "Pollyana" as a compliment. :) Obviously, you are able to find the good in most situations and help others do the same! It is a VERY special person who can do this! We are SO lucky to have a "Pollyana" to help us through the difficult times and see Christ when we have a hard time doing so on our own! Thanks for ALWAYS brightening my day!

    ReplyDelete