Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Life Lessons from Scrabble

       I love word games and Scrabble is one of my favorites. Most Mondays I play with Sisters David Ruschmann, Margaret Mary Dressman and Estelle Schulte who reside in our infirmary. It is a community-style game, meaning we are free to help each other if the tiles we draw are too challenging.
      As everyone will tell you I’m quite competitive and like winning more than anything. I also like to use good letters, even if they are someone else’s. While we don’t share the points we do share the glory of valuable words.
       So, what are some life lessons I have learned in my recent Scrabble games?

 You don’t always know what you will get in life. That might be people-related or job-related. You might have a day full of vowels (one point values) or a day with the right mix of vowels and consonants (some higher point values). Whatever the combination, you have to make the most of it. Sometimes you can draw from others suggestions; sometimes you are on your own.

           What you plan may have to be adjusted to the circumstances that you don’t control. You have a word in mind but another player takes your spot. I can’t tell you how many times one of us has exclaimed, “She took my spot” before re-examining other necessary possibilities.

Your way is not always accepted as the best way. I’m always looking for the highest scoring spots for myself and the other players. Even when I’ve found a place for someone to use a Q without a U on a double letter space that person will decide to make a four-point word instead. I don’t get it, but she does it. Each of us makes our own way, with or without others' help.


       I’m sure other Scrabble players can think of many other lessons to be learned from their games. I just know I enjoy my time with the sisters and learn from them, whether during Scrabble or at other times.  

            Sr. Nancy Kordenbrock, OSB

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister thank you for sharing this -- it is good health to direct our competition to remembering good words in a constructive fraternal rivalry -- the gift of God in the holy Scripture from the first and always. Perhaps the sisters should develop a new Scrabble for "words used in the Holy Gospels in Latin & Greek & English" that would be a challenge indeed. It is so interesting and there are many things to remember. How true it is that by enjoying our learning we learn twice as much and gain mental strength and health. God bless OSB amen.

    ReplyDelete