Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Who Will Answer?

      Last Thursday evening, I attended a Confirmation. There were over 50 Confirmandi.  One of the  intercessions at the Mass was, "For an increase of vocations to the priesthood, diaconate and the religious life for our Diocese".

      Thinking on this, I wondered how many of the Confirmandi would hear and respond to the Lord's call to follow Him in religious life or ordained ministry.
      This led me to think of my own Confirmation and how scared I was that the bishop would call on me to answer a question.  I sat on the end of the pew and the bishop stood right by the pew.  I kept my head down and kept blowing my nose. I never got called on by the bishop. However, I did get called on by the Lord.  Did I respond readily?  No.  It was several years later and circumstances led me to this response.

      I believe God does have a plan for us and if we do not hear the first time, will continue to call.  I am glad that I responded. It has made a big difference in my life.  I'd like also to think it has also made a difference in the lives of the many people who I would never had met elsewhere.

      We at St. Walburg Monastery need women to respond to the vocation of a Benedictine Sister.  I am sure this is also true  of the other orders in our Diocese.  The work and opportunities are still there.  Prayer and community life are important aspects of religious life.  The one question that remains is "Who will answer"?  Sr. Barbara Woeste, OSB


2 comments:

  1. Dear Sister, thank you for this good passage. The problem of vocations is a problem found throughout the world today, and also found in all churches and even in the other faiths. We are at a new time in the life of faith -- the opponent is the growth in "faithlessness." We have the answer to this but as always, it is what we do not want to do. A new age requires a new mold, but it is painful and unwelcome. Pope Francis is the best leader for this problem. His immensely attractive popular and pious approach is perfect, stimulating a stronger spirituality in the young and also generating a renaissance in religious consciousness -- that is what is needed now. It must also be cross-cultural and inter-faith -- a rebirth in the notion that prayer and good works is the only valid way. It has be a stronger part of our national education curriculum. Better quality teaching of faith information (multi-cultural) to all children. This will go against the tide of faithlessness in modern society, but it is difficult to get modern society to agree! One way is to be visible in media and make a strong statement, and OSB have been doing this. More is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sr. Barbara, I treasure that image of the little girl looking down and blowing her nose... and the ready, easy smile that has always drawn me in. I hear you, sister-friend!

    ReplyDelete