Wednesday, September 2, 2015

How Can I Keep from Singing?

                Sixty-seven years ago I was at my home across from Pleasure Isle on Kentucky 17*, making arrangements in preparation for entering St. Walburg Monastery. I had my trunk, my black shoes, my black stockings and my aprons. I had my new Bible and a Missal given to me by my pastor, Father Charles A. Towel who along with Sr. Ancille Happe, was very influential in my becoming a nun.
                As I began writing this post it came to me that I have never once, in these sixty-seven years, doubted or questioned my vocation even during difficult times. That insight came to me as a surprise and as a gift because I often question myself. I say, “I should have done thar “ or “I should not have done this” or “I wish I had or I wish I hadn’t.”

                Every day I grow more grateful for my life as a Benedictine sister. I thank God and my community, family, friends and all who have been part of my life. I finish this post a song comes to me uninvited, “How Can I Keep from Singing!”
        Sr. Justina Franxman, OSB
*For more information about Pleasure Isle, a well know Northern Kentucky pool and picnic area, see  http://kentoncountyhistoricalsociety.org/data/documents/January-February-2006.pdf,  p. 6.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sister thank you for this good post and the strength of your witness, I did not know this hymn, and I shall probably use it for my classes, many thanks always and God bless OSB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also "Thanks" for the post. I often think "Wow look at all God has given me in my life." True - "How can I keep from singing the praises of our God and His Providence."

    ReplyDelete