Wednesday, September 9, 2015

"Good evening. St. Walburg Monastery"

       “Good evening.  St. Walburg Monastery.”  I gave my usual message when answering the phone.
       “Are you taking new members?”
       “We are.”
       “Well what are the qualifications?”
Taken back by the bluntness of the question I hesitated and then blurted out, “Your best bet is to come and see and we can find out if we would be a good match.”

The brief conversation prompted me to reflect on my own journey.  B.C.; that is, Before Convent I enjoyed life, school and all the pleasures of youth. I thought I was on the path to be married. I also prayed, going to daily Mass frequently, being quietly reflective and studying the Gospels with friends.  One of my favorite places to pray then, and still is, is flat on my back in bed.  So one night I said to Jesus, “I wonder what I’ll be doing next year at this time.”  The answer came back, “You’ll be in the convent (monastery).”  I was shocked.  It was out of the blue.
            So the path began, talking to a priest several times, being interviewed by the prioress, being given a date to enter, finally telling my family and friends, not all of whom were happy. I did come to live here and thus began several years of what might be called the engagement period.  It was a time of discovery for me and for the members of the community.  Needless to say, I did make a life-long commitment. The journey continues. We are a good match.
       Sr. Mary Rabe, OSB



2 comments:

  1. It was interesting reading about your calling. I have wondered about different Sisters' motivations, but never asked. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the personal sharing is a powerful tool for reaching out, this positive joyful information, if you could give that to the women who have not heard it, will bring in new friends and new vocations, more and more effort in this will bring in a good harvest -- Pope Francis is very good at this -- thank you for this excellent blog

    ReplyDelete