Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Attitude of Gratitude

       As yet another snow storm approaches I am trying mightily to maintain or hone my “attitude of gratitude.” 
        One of my favorite poems by e.e. cummings begins “i thank You God for most this amazing day…” I have always tried to keep that thought through the events of each day. I often continue the line in my mind with the other things for which I thank God. Some days it’s easier to do than others. 
       I had knee replacement surgery at the end of January and throughout my recovery I was always grateful for the nurses, aides, therapists and others who cared for me at the hospital but most especially in our infirmary. To know that I could get help when I needed it (or before I even knew I needed it) was a real blessing. For all those loving people I am forever thankful. 
       As my sister battles cancer and the side effects of chemotherapy, I have to work harder to be grateful. Seeing her suffering and the uncertainty of the outcomes of the severe treatments is teaching me that my gratitude must widen to include the difficult and sad. Knowing that there is a greater plan than my own gives me hope. I wish for only good times but try to be open to what happens now as well as what I hope for. 
       I encourage you to join me in saying, “i thank You God for most this amazing day” and …
       Sr. Nancy Kordenbrock, OSB


1 comment: