Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Speaking the Human Language

      At our parish Christmas party at Mother of God parish I went from table to table visiting, welcoming and getting to know some people that I did not know.  I hesitated at one particular table, the table were the deaf community of our parish was sitting.
    I have watched in awe during Mass as the signers translate the prayers, songs and homily from the spoken word into the signed word.  How can the signers make the signs so fast?  How can they get all the words in?  Are some words represented by abbreviations?  More importantly, how can the dozen or so adult deaf persons read so fast?  Do they always understand each signers’ way of signing?  Some of the deaf sign along.  Some are ministers of the Eucharist and offer the bread or the cup with a sign.
    Why was I hesitant to go to their table and welcome them, wish them a Merry Christmas and get to know them?
    I couldn't speak their language!  How could I express the season's greetings without acting stupid?
    Thankfully, I did go.  By clumsy signs I let them know that I didn't know how to speak with them.  Several of them understood my "signs" and read my lips.  On the spot, with warm smiles, they taught me how to say, "Merry Christmas" in sign.
    That was the most wonderful moment of the whole evening.  I still am moved when I recall their delight trying to share their language with me.  I was the one who had hesitated.  They reached out and took me in.

    I still do not know sign language but, I have grown in human language.
     Sr. Kathleen Ryan, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment