Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The End of a Perfect Day

          A couple of weeks ago I entertained the members of Mother of God Parish RCIA Team at St. Mary’s, the small house where I live on the St.Walburg Monastery grounds. As all events go that have a good bit of preparation, I had a lot of details to take care of. I believe my guests had a good time, we enjoyed our friendship, conversation and food. The weather was perfect, the cats well behaved. As I cleaned up after everyone else had departed, I was satisfied – with the party, with life, with myself. The phrase my grandmother frequently used to say came to me: “The End of a Perfect Day”.
          I am not sure that I ever used those words before. And, naturally, with them, Granny came to mind and I had a bit of a one-way conversation with her. What was her criteria for having a perfect day? She really seemed to have a lot of them. Maybe the good days and the good friends and the good times seem more perfect and more precious when you get older or wiser, or come to appreciate that all is God’s gift. Lately, I have been reviewing my days through what may be Granny’s criteria, and I am finding that I use my grandmother’s expression a lot more.
         Sr. Dorothy Schuette, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment