Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Own Prayer


     While looking through a set of books someone was discarding, I found one with an 1981 copyright that, though old, seemed to call my name. The Breath of Life by Ron DelBene with Herb Montgomery proved to be a spiritual treasure for me.
      As the book suggested, I made up my own prayer using a title for God followed by a petition of my own. The prayer was to be 7-8 syllables and rhythmic. My prayer was, “Lord, let me feel Your presence.” Since I began the practice, my prayer comes very frequently and I feel more consciously connected to God’s presence throughout the day. Although the book  suggested using the same prayer for a month, I find myself including other short prayers such as, “Lord, keep me focused on You,” or “Lord, please help (insert name and mention intention.)  
      I am aware that this prayer form may not be attractive to everyone,  but I thought it just might give someone else the joy it has given me. 
     Sr. Victoria Eisenmann, OSB
 

No comments:

Post a Comment