Wednesday, October 5, 2011

On Breaking New Ground

     When a series of anything begins, something has to come first. This St. Walburg blog will be a series of reflections, and I was asked to initiate it. 
 Having been around more than 70 years and in community more than 50, I’ve experienced many firsts, sometimes by chance, other times by choice, mine or someone else’s. For me, being first usually brings at least a touch of fear. What do I fear? Risk? Responsibility? Success? Failure?  I found a clue in something Pablo Picasso observed: “Every act of creation is first an act of destruction.” Going first or taking a chance is a creative act, so something has to die. 
     Life itself can be seen as an act of continuous creating and re-creating, of dying and rising; in this regard, monastic life is no different. There’s a saying that in order for something to stay true to itself, it has to change. This is because its context, the world and the societies in it, is always changing. For example, over the past 1500 years Benedict and his thousands of followers have continually recreated the monastic journey, re-shaping the familiar and time-worn to fit into each  new environment, each  new age. 
     When the world we know is beset with one crisis piled on another, as seems to happen often in our time, the pressure to hold on to the familiar in the face of drastic change is huge. To remain in a comfort zone, however, is frequently not an option; stepping out into something new has to be faced. In doing this, some kind of risk is usually unavoidable. The challenge can be daunting, but if we let it, hope is its companion. 
     Not all re-creation is drastic or even dramatic, but each day brings opportunity, even demand for dealing with something in a way we hadn’t planned. As we mature we try to learn how to adjust our vision and expectations when life changes around us. My hope is that the series of reflections readers find in this blog will shed light on some of today’s joys and challenges. One writer’s thoughts might give bit of hope in a tough time; another might reveal ways to experience hidden delights easily missed in the daily rush. At any rate, may the words found in this space help readers more easily know the loving God who is our companion with every step, whether the path is well worn or one needing to be newly broken. 
                                                                                                                        Colleen Winston, OSB


5 comments:

  1. We do want comments on our posts. I think I had the wrong setting on the comments setup so I'd appreciate if someone else would leave a comment to test it out. If you leave a comment and it doesn't appear, please email me at sdhosb@yahoo.com and I will try to troubleshoot it some more. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this reflection the day it was posted, and had I known how to comment I would have done so that day.

    How beautiful. You know how, at times, a reading or a homily will seem to be spoken or written for you? That is how I felt when I first read Sr. Colleen's blog.

    Of course, we are all in this together, walking this path together, and the common experiences along the way for all of us create such feelings.

    While my first thought was - oh, this is for me! - almost immediately, the message became a comfort as I knew I was facing a predictable and time honored turn in the road. We all face these, and when this is recognized then at least you know you have lots of company!

    Thank you for so beautifully expressing this.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,
    Thank you so much for the comment. I will make sure Sr. Colleen sees it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Change can be both exciting and sad at the same time. I like your quote from Piccaso.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sr Colleen. It was wonderful to meet you this past weekend. Your thoughts are touching to me as I retire from 10 years as President of our non-profit group. I have every confidence that God has good things in store for my coming days. So the sorrow of leaving is balanced with the joy of new adventures. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete