Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Holding lightly


              Recently I was knitting the heel of sock and found myself struggling with the yarn.I realized tension in my grip had increased making my stitches too tight for the yarn to pass freely through. In the art of knitting a balance of tension and freedom and is needed for the creation an even gauge throughout the project. Realizing what was happening I eased my tension and the heel was created with much more ease. 
During the past couple of weeks, I’ve been experimenting with what would happen if I held other things with a lighter touch. In a conversation with a co-worker holding lightly to my own opinion created space for understanding and creatively problem solving together. Holding lightly to my do list, led a fun evening of cards with my sisters. In both of these experiences, I walked away with a sense of connection and joy at the exchange. I also experienced a sense of being energized rather than drained from the tension of my own agenda.
I’m going to continue to be curious to, to experiment with holding life with a lighter touch in both serious, lighter and mundane moments. I look forward to seeing what emerges in myself, with others and in my relationship with God. Care to join the experiment? 
Sr. Kimberly Porter, OSB    

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sister, this is good advice, holding to the deep core of faith in God's love, that the Lord is truly the source of all we have, confident that the whole history of this planet earth, every law of physics, every particle of matter, is part of his creation, why then do we need to be hasty to seek confrontation, but rather let us be patient to allow a space for agreement to grow. There are big differences and small differences. They used those differences to rob their opposite numbers of life. In this age let us seek allies in goodness and faith, and try to share real moments of achievement together. Can we pray for one another and intend our prayer, saying: Peace, good health and happiness for you, as God wills, amen. If this is a lighter way, let it be light for me; if it is loose, let me be loose to pray for them happiness and peace, amen. God bless OSB, Happy Easter amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reminder and the analogy...I will attempt to take up the challlenge of holding with a lighter touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sister M Margaret Agnes, SNDJanuary 31, 2020 at 7:20 PM

    This is wisdom beautifullky expressed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete