Thursday, July 8, 2021

A model for tribute, prayer and process

     


I attended a funeral recently that was introduced with a tribute written by one of the daughters of a man who was 93. He had recently suffered a major stroke.  She was inspired to write this as she sat with him one night. With her permission I share part of it.

I never saw my father dying

Instead I saw a family tirelessly

caring for a father they adored.


I never saw my father dying

Instead I saw respect and admiration

from friends whose lives he enriched.


. . . I never saw my father dying

Instead I saw Love.

Such a beautiful tribute! I have reflected on it often.  I love the content and the format resonated with me. It is a beautiful way to live with difficult situations, to process encounters of significance,  and to inspire prayer.  With  gratitude and humility, I offer a few  examples.


Connecting with the news

I do not see the pile of debris in the Florida building collapse.

Instead I see lives lost and dreams shattered.

I do not see the pile of debris in the Florida building collapse.

Instead I see the dedication and jeopardy of first responders and  generous citizens.

I do not see the pile of debris in the Florida building collapse.

Instead I see a mayor who cares and a country holding its breath.  . . .


Perhaps a remedy for negative judgement

I never saw her outburst of anger.

Instead I saw a frustrated, overworked, unsupported woman. 

I never saw her outburst of anger.

Instead I saw a woman doing her best to love her children.  . . .. .


Grateful for our natural world.

I do not see the brown ends of tree branches.

Instead I see Nature producing new life for those pesky little cicadas .

I do not see the brown ends of tree branches.

Instead I see relief from noise and freedom from discarded body parts.  . . .


May you likewise be inspired.

                Sr. Mary Rabe, OSB


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your thoughtful comparisons, I think my father’s lesson to me was to always look for a positive way out of our disappointment. Gratitude rather selfishness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an awesome blog! It really touched me! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sister thank for these good thoughts. Gratitude for the love and goodness of our family and friends who have given so much in patience for us, especially when we did not know or understand how much they gave. News news there is no end to news -- may good news come to you and fill you with strength and joy, good sisters and good brothers visiting, sharing good thoughts and healing be among you amen God bless OSB amen Merry Christmas soon (a bit early).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You for the opening message. My Mother passed away in May; this brings me comfort in my grieving process.

    With Love & Blessings.

    ReplyDelete