Friday, March 26, 2021

The Observance of Lent

 


The Observance of Lent

            Chapter 49 of the Rule of Benedict is devoted to “The Observance of Lent.” Including among many suggestions Benedict tells us to devote ourselves to prayer and to reading. It has become a custom in our community for each sister to choose a book for her Lenten spiritual reading.

            This year I had no need to search for a book; the book found me. During a phone call with a cousin he asked whether I had ever heard of St. Faustina Kawalsko. Yes, I had heard of her, but that was the extent of my acquaintance. My cousin told me that he had read her diary and would send me a copy.  He thought I would really enjoy it.

            When the package arrived, I was surprised to find a tiny 7 by 5 inch book that I assumed would be easy reading—likely not enough to last through Lent.  Upon closer inspection the little inspirational book was printed in small print and also a Lenten penance for my 92 year old eyes, but I decided to finish this unusual story.

            Helen (Faustina’s baptismal name) was from a poor Polish family of 20 children. At her First Communion, age 9, she knew she was being called to be a nun. At the age of 19 while at a dance with her sister. Helen had a vision of the crucified Christ. This confirmed her decision to enter a convent and she now wished to do so as soon as possible. She heard God telling her to travel to Warsaw, 85 miles from home to enter a convent. She obediently made the trip. After being refused by two communities, she was admitted to the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy. At age 20, she was clothed in the habit and received the name Sister Marie Faustina of the Blessed Sacrament.

            Both Jesus and her spiritual director had asked St. Faustina to record her visions and what she had heard God saying. These notebooks are known today as loving messages of Divine Mercy. Almost every entry speaks of God’s mercy and describes her many visions and messages from God.

            St. Faustina died of tuberculosis at age 30 and has been called “The Apostle or Secretary of God’s Mercy.” The Church now celebrates Divine Mercy Sunday on the first Sunday after Easter.

            Of course, I have long been aware of god’s mercy, but I now think of it every day and have a new sense of gratitude for God’s mercy. I highly recommend the Dairy, but suggest the reader have a good magnifying glass or a coup with large print.

Sister Victoria Eiseman, OSB

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister I have a copy of this which I have not fully read though I have quoted from it in my Stean Anthony work. The Divine Mercy prayer and devotion has become one of the glories of Roman Catholic Devotion, and the Divine Mercy Icon a window to heaven in truth. When you read it, you find that it is very beautifully phrased (I read it in English translation) -- a spiritual devotional poetry. There were a few young women like her, who, through untold sacrifice, have strengthened the Church. BS of L and Ter of Lis are two most important ones -- I would say that in a different way, but with the same love and strength, we need that work done. What is different today? St. Faustina Kowalska pray for us amen God bless OSB Happy Easter soon amen
    1024 I would not know how to live without the Lord. Jesus often visits me in this seclusion, teaches me, reassures me, rebukes me, and admonishes me. He Himself forms my heart according to his divine wishes and likings, but always with much goodness and mercy. Our hearts are fused as one." page 390 Marian Press, 2011. this is a beautiful book Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska.

    ReplyDelete