Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Challenge to Respond as Christ

     


Recently I was enjoying an evening walk with a friend, both of us masked and keeping some distance from one another.  We were approached by another walker who with raised voice said, “Democrats, right!” as he walked past.  Initially shocked we both looked at each other with disbelief, asking did that just happen?  My choice to wear a mask is not politically motivated but rather is about safety and a sense of doing my part to reduce the spread of Covid-19.  Knowing this, I felt myself becoming angry with this man, his assumptions about my motivations and his seeming disdain for us.

            Later, we and others to whom I told the story came up with many retorts that could have been hurdled back.  It may be just as well that in moments like that my mind slows and my tongue goes silent keeping words I might regret from escaping.  This experience left me with a larger question, how do I respond as Jesus Christ would have in moments like this one?  Jesus expressed anger at times but more often than not responded with a sense of compassion and care for the other person.  He offered a parable or a question to effect change on the other party.  His goal was to find ways to soften hearts, heal and draw people together.  In these days of Covid-19 and our approaching election which seem to exacerbate differences I pray for the grace:

·         to see the other with the compassionate and caring eyes of Christ

·         to listen with ears that seek to really hear and understand even when I disagree

·         to speak words that foster healing and connection

·         to live with a soft heart that remains open and vulnerable

·         to respond as Christ to whatever I encounter along the way


       Sr. Kimberly Porter, OSB

             

9 comments:

  1. Well said! Thanks for the reminder that not every thought or retort in our head needs to escape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray for the same grace. Thanks for sharing your story and your message!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful reminder - it holds much of RB 4!
    Blessings and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sister, you have given me the answer, key words for life. A friend taught me once that all anger of any kind is a sin. But an appearance of anger can be a good lesson. No politics in Jesus apart from love, which does mean we have to be fair and just and share our world with one another, patient and generous and kind as far as possible, following your advice. Shielding ourselves without hurting or harming, being prepared to change in order to stay the same, which is love for God and love for one another, because the world around us has certainly changed in our time, this aeon of ten thousand years. Look at what the human ape learnt to do! Help us Lord Jesus to love one another amen God bless OSB amen Merry Christmas soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely reflection! Thank you for your insights. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Timely and wise words! Informed self-care protects our ability to help and care for others, no matter what their ills. One can't pour from an empty vessel! Thank you for sharing this experience. Sometimes when I'm at a loss for the words I want to say, I feel powerless. I want to prove with the power of persuasion that I'm right! Reading this reminds me that sometimes it's most powerful to simply be a MODEL of serenity.

    ReplyDelete