Wednesday, February 12, 2020

A Reflection on Prayer


          Sr. David Ruschman is retired from nursing, now her main ministry is prayer. Sr. Dorothy Schuette is retired from parish duties and is now ministering through spiritual companionship and prayer. For this blog Sr. Dorothy asked Sr. David to share her reflections about prayer.

Sr. Dorothy Schuette
           Sr. David can’t see to read which limits her participation in that way at Liturgy of the Hours when much of the prayer, which are the Psalms, is read by community members as a group.
What’s it like to be in chapel with the community for Liturgy of the Hours and Mass?
           “I want to be there. I am praying too by listening and being there; I don’t want to be absent. I can join in out loud on the parts that I know by heart because we say them all the time.”
Can you share with me how your prayer might be difference that if you could see?
          “For me, it’s more mental prayer.”
          “I’m getting a little closer to the Lord. It’s easier to put myself in His Presence. I’m grateful that we have the chapel and that it’s so accessible. I can stop by any time. And I know that the Lord is right here with me and Jesus is present.”
Sr. David Ruschmann
           “I’ve been given the job of praying for the community and I enjoy it. I go through the names individually as sisters are sitting in chapel and I pray for groups if I don’t know who’s sitting where.           It’s a pleasure to just pray that the hand of God will be on them. I don’t ask for particular outcomes; all problems are important to the people who have them.”
How has prayer affected your life?
          “Praying gives me peace of mind. Makes me feel safe and that there is a purpose in everything. I am doing it for God and feel close to Jesus, almost like I can touch him. It gives me hope for       happiness and eternal life for myself, family, the community and everyone.”
          “When I was younger I was so busy that there was not much time for prayer and often not much energy either. Now I feel like I am making up for those times. I am glad to have this time. I can’t think of any place I’d rather be because it gives me time to pray.”

          “I really enjoy life. I am more grateful for my vocation than ever before.” 
         
              Sr. Dorothy Schuette, OSB


2 comments:

  1. A beautiful reflection on prayer. I also go through the names of all the sisters in my prayers. The community is a real blessing for Gerry and myself. Praise God !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sister thank you for this vital reminder of the importance of prayer -- how it should be a real part of the life of faith, that we should feel emotionally connected, that it should give strength and peace and security, that we should be worried when we omit it, that it should make us happy -- May the Lord bless our prayer with his strength and love always amen Happy Easter OSB God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete