Thursday, May 16, 2019

Quiet, Silence and Solitude


       During a recent conversation I was asked, “How do I see my life as a 17-year old compared to someone who is 17 in 2019?”  I have thought about that question several times since the conversation. Of course, there are differences and similarities, some obvious and some not so obvious.There is however one difference or perceived difference that keeps creeping into my thinking.  
       I think I had a lot more time to be quiet. A few examples will suffice. At home we had a radio and a television. There were no electronic devices in any bedroom.  We walked and worked and read without earbuds. At school we exchanged classes in silence (or at least that was the teachers’ goal).  We had monthly days of reflection consisting of two or three talks and no talking for the whole school day.These practices would be foreign to most 17-year-olds I know.
       The result for me was the ability to experience and to be comfortable with solitude.Taking a walk in the woods or lying on my bed looking at the bare ceiling provided opportunities to be alone with my thoughts and to be alone with God. I had learned to listen for that “Soft Breeze” that brought calm and clarity to life. Fortunately, my foundation was great. My parents were models. Mother had a chair in the bedroom. We knew this was the time to not disturb her. My father was a salesman who travelled do both urban and rural grocery stores. Drive time was quiet time. Even his rosary had a special hanger on the dashboard to hold his place. I am grateful for my opportunities that have made God a friend forever.
       I do worry that this dimension of solitude is minimalized in the current graduates. I hope and pray that in their heightened activities and noise-filled lives there are some pauses that allow God to be found and time spent with God to be nourished. The rewards are tremendous.

            Sr. Mary Rabe, OSB

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister, it is a blessing to be reminded how important silence is. A benevolent quiet, a silence that allows our thoughts to expand up to God's love. Peacefully to read and forget the world. To walk with Moses, or to pull the nets with Peter. Undisturbed by the incessant clamor. Is there another kind of silence? Perhaps there is. Soft breeze bring us the warmth of God's peace, amen. God bless OSB, Happy Easter season to OSB all through May this good year, amen.

    ReplyDelete