Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Exercising the Positive

                I’ve been trying to regain my regular groove with exercise.  Exercises to raise my heart rate strengthen and stretch.   After a recently trying week (physically and mentally), I decided I needed some strength training for my soul muscles, in particular increasing positivity. 
                How does one exercise to strengthen positivity?  By savoring, 20-30 seconds at a time! Negative experiences stick immediately (think Velcro) whereas we need to savor positive experiences for them to work their way into the fibers of our memory.  I’ve been engaging in interval training of sorts for my soul by intentionally staying with these positive experiences when they occur for 20-30 seconds.  Here a few of my moments:
·         Sitting in my chair with a good cup of coffee
·         Watching beautiful rainbow out our back door
·         Thought provoking conversation with a friend
·         The pops of color beginning to appear on trees
·         An unexpected kind word
·         A few moments of quiet to take deep breaths in a full day
                  Benefits so far include moments of joy, gratitude, and awe.  The morning I saw the rainbow, I experienced one of the calmest and joyful commutes I’ve had recently!  I like this savoring and am realizing it is just as necessary as any other exercise.  What might you savor today?

         Sr. Kimberly Porter, OSB

3 comments:

  1. Love your positivism! Great reflection, Kim, and a good reminder to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this helpful message. We need to return to this constantly. Blessings of our lives, a fragrance in the air, someone with an unusual voice, the harvest fruit persimmon grows soft and tender. Hermit or Anchorite we speak to God about His goodness to us, from our sisters and brothers our strength is confirmed by their loving words and positive encouragement. God bless you amen. God bless OSB amen.

    ReplyDelete