Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Has it really been this long?

        Recently I was requested by Sister Rosemary McCormick the community’s “roving reporter” for our in-house “Word Within” newsletter to write about my 15 year experience as a volunteer at the Women’s Federal Prison Camp in Lexington, Ky. The following is a summary adaptation of what I wrote.
         Over the years listening to the women’s stories at the prison – some horrific, has made an indelible impression on me. No one chooses to be born into an addicted family; or in a family in which abuse – physical, sexual, emotional had become a pattern; or in situations in which abject poverty was the norm. And yes, for some of the women their early lives were neither harsh nor dangerous. And yes, some women do have a real attitude! There is always a mixture of women in the groups that I conduct.
         How to be of help can be a huge challenge. I envy Jesus who looked directly into the person’s soul and knew what was needed! For me, it is listening, providing mental and emotional health education and most of all being attuned to the matters of their hearts – that seem to lead to a positive change.  
        Through the years I have met many remarkable women. Women who own up to the crime(s), take responsibility for their mistakes and use the opportunity in prison to reflect on their lives and begin making necessary changes. Many of them offer kindness and acceptance to the other inmates especially the newly arrived women in the Camp.
        Often, when people come to see me on the Monastery grounds they remark how sacred and holy this space is. This does not surprise me. I am surprised, though, at how often I have felt a sense of sacredness when meeting with the women at the Prison Camp. So often there is vulnerability and openness that makes the space feel holy, and at times, the workings of the Spirit feels palpable.
        I believed then as I do now that incarcerated women are underserved. Through the years I have experienced many challenges! Now seldom do I experience the feelings of dread and anxiety when I drive up the long driveway – but I continue to feel a sense of hope and gratitude when I leave the Camp.

        Sr. Aileen Bankemper, OSB


1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister thank you very much for posting this witness to the true work of Christian love as from the beginning, the Lord tells us to do this, and we are led forth from prison in Egypt. Jesus and Peter and Paul are all prisoners. I pray that the good work in such ministry is strengthened and protected, and blessed with resources to make it easier to undertake. How can we bring healing to the immense trauma that is involved? Thanks be to God that science and medicine together with faith has taught us so much nowadays. I pray for your good work and for those you help to be blessed with healing and strength amen God bless OSB amen

    ReplyDelete