Friday, July 21, 2017

Job Satisfaction

       IT'S BLOG TIME!  INSTANT BLOG BLOCK!
       What to write about?  How about people?
       About five years ago, having just retired from teaching I got a job at a senior care center.  My job description was: "Conduct a Eucharistic Prayer Service for the Catholic Residents."
      With many experiences of planning prayer services and Mass liturgies with grade school children, I jumped in with both feet  It was an instant match! I fell in love with the most delightful group of senior folks--mostly women but a few men.  AND, they liked me.Twice a month we celebrate a Eucharistic prayer service
based on the Eucharistic Liturgy of the day. Some of the senior read the Scripture; some of them set up the altar, and some put everything away at the end.THEN, we talk about daily things.
      We've gotten to know each other as unique, wonderful persons. We share our faith and beliefs and some of our life stories. And, there is a good bit of teasing that goes on too. For me it is an enriching experience.
      In the past several months the administrator gave me another job. In the personal care building, my job description is to interview the residents.I have a short list of questions to get things started. We talk about other things that are of interest to them, too.We have no specific deadline at which time the interviews must
be completed. The great part is that we can just "sit and talk." 
      This, too, is a twice a month meeting.  Each of the senior I have interviewed inspire me with their stories,their charm and their lived wisdom. I get much more from these wonderful people than I give.
       I couldn't be luckier.  Talk about job satisfaction.  I have it!
                    Sr. Kathleen Ryan, OSB

2 comments:

  1. Dear sister thank you for this good news. It sounds like you are doing the best job you could possibly do, and I pray that your work increases because surely you are truly serving the Lord. God bless OSB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy the seniors that you work with. I can't hear your name without feeling just a little better.

    ReplyDelete