Wednesday, June 14, 2017

She gave from the abundance of her heart

              Recently the Gospel reading of the day was the “widow’s mite” (Luke 21: 1 - 4). Reflecting on this passage I remember a poignant moment in my ministry in Appalachia. It occurred while visiting a woman (I’ll call her May) who recently moved into a group home. 
             I had known May for several years. It seemed that everything that could go wrong in her life had. The death of her daughter, a divorcee, and her own mental health issues worsening made it impossible for May to live on her own. What I recall of this day is May’s excitement in having a visitor. We met only briefly in a common TV/living room when she asked me to come see her own living area. May took my hand as we walked down a long hall.  Her bed, a dresser and a few belongings were in an alcove, a small section of a large dorm room. As I looked around at her meager possessions May pointed to the floor.
            There at the entry space to her alcove, was a mat that said WELCOME – and she beamed showing her few remaining teeth. She wanted me to know just how open her heart was in welcoming me.  I noticed that no one else in the dorm had a mat – just May. This was her prize possession. Hospitality was the special gift she had to give.  She gave from the abundance of the little she had. I felt blessed to be received by May.

           May’s hospitality was what Benedict desires of his followers – to receive and greet each person as Christ; to welcome them with joy and gladness. There is a quote from Henri Nouwen’s book, Reaching Out that reads “From now on, wherever you go, wherever I go the ground is holy between us. As you leave, you stay within the hospitality of my heart,” It is as true today as it was almost forty years ago. May continues to remain in the hospitality of my heart as I hope I remain in hers. 
        Sr. Aileen Bankemper, OSB

3 comments:

  1. Dear Sister thank you for this great teaching. Here is the way. You are telling me how we can go forward in this world -- visiting one another with compassion and creating a space of joy. Why didn't I spend my life doing this? God bless OSB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so valuable and so simple. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and heartwarming post. I have a similar rug at home and this sharing reminds me to clean the rug to welcome everyone that enters my house with a open heart.

    ReplyDelete