Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A Teacher’s Reflection

The article below was written over thirty years ago.  It still seems appropriate for Catholic Schools Week which we celebrate this week in the USA.
         In my twentieth year of teaching elementary school children, I have taken a good look at what I’ve been doing and why. I would like to share with you some of my reflections.
When children hover over simple, “mundane” marigold seedlings, amazed at finding a remnant of the seed still attached to a leaf, and react as though they were the first to discover such a phenomenon, my sense of wonder bubbles with theirs.
When a child, in tears, embraces another who has just hurt her and offers: “I’m sorry,” my trust in Creative Love is renewed, and I rejoice.
When children’s faces glow with fascination with the reading of C. S. Lewis’ The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, their simplicity humbles me.
When a child, in a slightly quivering voice, expresses his dream for his future, I touch Reality.
When, growing in confidence, a child walks a little taller, I experience “This is a good place to be.”
When the day has been hectic and I am without strength to face that one, last class of eternally-energized youngsters, I am driven to remember wherein my strength lies … and inevitably, I discover Faithfulness.
I have made painful mistakes, experienced failure – and   I have grown through my role as an educator.  I have had more joy than I ever thought possible.
What I have learned and experienced in life so far – my share of Truth and  who  I  am, is what I bring to the students with whom I have been entrusted.  I hope it makes a little difference on their own  journeys. (They have to mine.)
 May our loving God accompany them safely on their way.
                                                   “For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
                                                     Which you cannot visit,
                                                     Not even in your dreams.”        Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

Sr. Sharon Portwood, OSB

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sister thank you very much for this beautiful message, reminding me of when I taught little children, and to which I can only reply thank you teacher, stand strong in resurrection joy, amen Jn 20.16 Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to him in Hebrew,“Rabbouni!” (which means Teacher).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so admire the abilities of classroom teachers and remember gratefully many who have taught me. In my retirement, I've been blessed by the young children I've met through volunteer tutoring.

    ReplyDelete