Thursday, October 27, 2016

Prayer for peace

           
It’s been a long summer of painful political discourse—to put it mildly. Two weeks ago I read Pope Francis’ prayer for peace that he offered in a service with Chaldean Catholics of Georgia. I offer a few paraphrases lines that resonated and stayed with me.

            Lord Jesus, we adore your cross which frees us from sin, the origin of every division. We long for your kingdom of justice, joy and peace.
           
Lord Jesus, by your glorious passion conquer the hardness of our hearts imprisoned by hatred and selfishness.
           
Lord Jesus, cast forth the shadow of your cross over peoples that we may learn the way of reconciliation, dialogue and forgiveness.

O Virgin Mary, Queen of Peace, you who stood at the foot of the cross, obtain from your 
Son, pardon for our sins. Sustain our faith and our hope and teach us the royal road of service and the glory of love. AMEN.

                  Sr. Mary Catherine Wenstrup, OSB           

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister thank you for this good prayer and for your holy service and strength OSB thank you. May the cross of the Lord Jesus Christ show us the suffering of humanity beyond race or creed. May the cross open the heavens like a door to show us the transfigured glory of Christ. May the cross be my staff as I walk my life to help me and support me. May the cross like a cord draw me to help the suffering in the way that I can. Amen.

    ReplyDelete