Wednesday, July 6, 2016

My Dogwood Tree

       Yesterday, my dogwood tree was cut down. It  was time for it   to go because it had many dead branches on it. The dogwood tree was just outside my bedroom window. I loved to watch the tree at the changes of seasons.
       In  the  springtime, new leaves would bud forth and it   would have beautiful white blossoms. Later berries would come and many and different birds would come and eat the berries. It   was a hub of activity!
       I was fortunate to watch this marvel of nature for thirty some years. The tree itself had grown so tall that it reached our second floor window.
       Even though the tree belonged to the monastery and to all of us, I considered it "my" tree because it greeted me in   the mornings and evenings and when I looked out my window. I enjoyed watching its beauty and   activity.

       I am sad at the loss of this tree but am also reminded of a quote by Alfred, Lord Tennyson that is in my mind at this time.  "The old order changeth, yielding place to new and God fulfills himself in many ways lest one good custom should corrupt the world."
        Sr. Barbara Woeste, OSB

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sister thank you for this good post. How precious trees are, surely we can save them better these days, surely the tree could flower longer and in good health. In our population growth and world development we have lost the forests, we do have to plant trees or the world will be a desert of dust. Memory, what was that tree he spoke about? thank you and God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sister,
    I sympathize with you concerning the loss of your beloved dogwood tree! I've noticed that this has been a hard year for the dogwood trees. When I was growing up, my Grandmother had two lovely dogwood trees in her yard. One was pink and the other was white, like yours. I loved them! They are both gone now, and someone else owns the house ... but I can still see them in bloom every time I pass by the old place. Change is inevitable, but sometimes very sad!

    ReplyDelete