Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Meditation on being stuck in an elevator

     The elevator was small and stuffy. It was nighttime. Was anyone still around?  The elevator stopped.  It was between two floors and the door refused to open. The alarm! Who would hear the alarm. I didn't want to be stuck there all night.  Would I suffocate?
    One of the sisters did hear the alarm. Now to find the sister who knew where the emergency key was kept AND, how to use it. I was scared. At least one of the sisters stayed outside the elevator door and talked to me so I'd know someone was there. The key clicked in the lock, the door opened and I climbed out.
    The second elevator was much bigger. Complete with a wooden chair...for the longer rides. The timing was better. it was early evening and there were sisters around.This second experience wasn't so frightening. I knew I would get out. But, finding the key AND  the right combination for it to work took 45 minutes.
    It was winter.The elevator was cold.I walked back and forth in every configuration I could dream of.  I hadn't done my stretch exercises that morning so I did those.Then I sat on the chair. Imagination took over. How would this space compare to a solitary confinement cell in a prison?
   The walls were solid. There were no windows. My space was clean, hope-filled and time-limited.  A prisoner's cell (I imagined) was windowless, cold, dingy, lonely, hopeless and almost eternal. I'm an outdoor person so I can't imagine being cooped up for 23 of 24 hours a day in such a space. My situation had the creature comforts lacking in a prison cell of solitary confinement.
    Imagination turned to reality. What are we doing to make our prisons more humane? Do we think of prisoners as "those people" or do we respect their God given dignity? Can't we do more with rehabilitation and less with punishment? A recent 60 Minutes' Report showed how Germany rehabilitates its prisoners.  They have a very low rate of repeat offenders because they are trained for jobs, social skills are developed and the general public has a different attitude toward those who have committed crimes.Is Germany's prison system something we ought to look into?
      Sr. Kathleen Ryan, OSB

2 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful and wise friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sister thank you for this wonderful passage of great writing. Well done in your endurance of such a hard mental experience! Using this suffering to understand the situation of prisoners is truly Jesus Christ. You are perfectly correct -- why do we have a prison service if we create repeat offenders? Surely we can do better nowadays with all the miracles of modern systems. So many prisoners are given such terrible suffering, so many millions in the poorest prisons spent millions of hours in grief and loneliness -- and many of them were the victims of injustice or bad trials or mistakes. this would be truly godly work, to make the poorest nations prisons more humane. What happened to Jesus and Peter and Paul? Prison and then cross. Later, prison and arena. We need to remember the beginning always. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete