Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Patron Saints

   


  The Easter Vigil will be this Saturday evening, April 4. Over several months I have been helping our parish RCIA candidates to prepare for celebrating the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Holy Communion for the first time. One person has still not chosen a patron saint as is customary and, of course, that poses the question of, “Why does one need a patron saint?”
       We talked about having a friend who is with God and who can be a patron, a helper as we deal with the issues in life. That led to the group raising all the special and usual patronages: St. Jude for impossible causes,  St. Joseph for selling your house, St. Monica when you want your children to embrace their faith.  But afterwards, for myself I came to wonder “Who do I pray to?”  I love St. Dorothy, but need other voices to intercede for me too.
       What seems right for me is to ask the Holy Spirit and all those who love me to help me. The insight to address my prayer in this way was my Ash Wednesday grace I guess because I really meant what I was asking for – a change in my self, not something exterior. If you are like me, sometimes you pray for the grace to do something, but your whole self is not really “into it”. This feels like I am calling upon the whole Cloud of Witnesses to stand for me – in support and also to hold me to the task ahead. I think I’ll be paying more attention to the naming of Saints in the Litany at Easter Vigil this Saturday, because they are likely paying attention to me too. 


         Sr. Dorothy Schuette, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment