Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Listening together to the Holy Spirit

            The Prologue to the Rule of St. Benedict begins with the words, “Listen, carefully and attend with the ear of the heart.” For me this slightly amended version of the Prologue describes beautifully and perfectly the role of the spiritual director.
            For 27 years I have sat with women and men always trying to keep in mind that there were three persons present in the room: the directee, myself and the Holy Spirit. In this ministry I listened more than I spoke because I learned that for the most part people have their own answers. Often it is only a matter of having someone listen in order for us to hear what we are thinking or what is going on inside.
            It was Julian of Norwich who said, “I tell them what they told me and they say, ‘My, how wise you are.’”
            I am profoundly grateful for my years of ministry as a spiritual director. I have been richly blessed by the presence in my life of the women and men with whom I have listened to the Holy Spirit.  
         Sr. Justina Franxman, OSB

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Sister! You share the Spirit in such an affirming and accepting way! You remain in my prayers. kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have graced me with your wisdom for most of those 27 years. And it takes someone wise to get my restless mind to stop and listen to what the Holy Spirit has to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words from a wise woman, mentor, spiritual director and friend! So grateful for our time.

    ReplyDelete