Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Do My Words Give Grace?

     Every other Friday at Night Prayer we hear this instruction from St. Paul’s letter to the Ephesians: 4:29  “Speak the truth to each other, for we are members of one another…. Speak only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear.”
     And each time I leave the Chapel with those words echoing in my mind and heart.  My words are to give grace to those who hear.  Grace is God’s life, to be passed on by my words.  How mindful am I of the words I speak? - so unmindful at times. 
     God’s Word spoke creation. God’s Word became one of us, and showed us how to live and die and rise again.   Jesus’ words definitely built up the human race again, giving us grace - His Life.  The last two days Luke gives us examples of Jesus’ words making a difference to those who heard him:
     Luke 4: 16-30 When Jesus read from the Scroll in the synagogue….”all spoke highly of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth.”
     Luke 4: 31-37 Jesus rebuked the unclean demon and said, “Be quiet! Come out of him!”  The people were all amazed and said to one another, “What is there about his word?  For with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits and they come out. And news of him spread everywhere.” 
      Our work is to imitate Him – through our words, giving His Life to those who hear us.
St. Benedict, being aware of how ones speech can build up or tear down another, has some warnings in the Holy Rule calling us to be alert and responsible for what we say:
Ch. 4:28 “Speak the truth with heart and tongue.”  51 “Guard your lips from harmful and deceptive speech.”  Ch. 7:56 “The 9th step of Humility is that we are to control our tongue and remain silent unless asked a question.” And when at the Work of God he says in Ch. 19:7 “Let us stand to sing the psalms in such a way that our mouths are in harmony with our voices.”
     In the Psalms we hear other reminders of mindfulness in our thoughts and our speech:
Ps. 19:14 “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, my rock and my redeemer.”  Ps. 139:4 “Even before a word is on my tongue, behold O Lord, you know the whole of it.” Ps. 49:2 “My mouth shall speak wisdom.”  Ps.106: 48 “Let all the people say, ‘Amen,’ Praise God.”

     Reflecting on this important instruction from St. Paul has helped me to be more alert and pray that my “words may give Grace to those who hear.”
       Sr. Mary Tewes, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment