Wednesday, August 14, 2013

To Really Hear


I often tell parents with whom I work that instructions need to be repeated three times before a child hears it once.  This summer it has become apparent to me that I too sometimes need to hear the same thing three (or more) times before it takes root.  In my experience, this is even more so when it comes to my relationship with God.
On three separate occasions in the past two months I have been reminded that God loves me, God is faithful and my task is to practice fidelity to the monastic way of life.  This I’ve lived and known but I heard it in a different way.  Why?
First, I had to step away from the busyness to even realize the clutter which needed to be cleared.  There is so much to see, hear and do that it becomes easy for me to lose my focus in small ways which accumulate.  Each time I heard “God loves you; God is faithful; and to practice fidelity to the monastic way of life” it penetrated deeper.  I heard the words with my ears, then in my thoughts and somewhere during the third time with the ear of my heart. 
Only then did I really hear and embrace in a new way what I have known…that which calls me to God and gives me the strength and courage to practice fidelity to the monastic way of life in community through prayer and work.  May we each find ways to really hear God’s love and faithfulness in our midst whatever our task.

Sr. Kimberly Porter OSB

2 comments:

  1. Sister - I hear you! What a wonderful message for me....how often I haven't heard because of the clutter in my life. More attentiveness is needed. Thank you for post! It touched me.
    Regards,
    Pat Neverman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reflection Kim! So many competing voices!

    ReplyDelete