Thursday, May 23, 2013

Feast of the Most Holy Trinity

     The mystery of the Most Holy Trinity is the central mystery of the Christian Faith and of the Christian life. God alone can make it known to us by revealing himself as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. [# 261 Catechism of the Catholic Church. ©1994]
     For many years the teachings on the Trinity have been many and varied and never fully understood. St Augustine went so far as to say that anyone who claimed to know everything about the Trinity was a heretic! In more recent history the Trinity has been explained as relational unity with a living dynamic communion of the "love life" of God in the three Divine Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
     In turn as Christians we are invited to be within this communion of love. #260 in the Catechism states: “The ultimate end of the divine economy is the entry of God's creatures into the perfect unity of the Blessed Trinity...We are called [in turn] to be a dwelling for the Most Holy Trinity.”
Thus we are also called to be vehicles to share this love among all with whom we come in contact. The Sign of the Cross can call us to an awareness of this loving relationship between God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
Prayer to the Trinity by Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity [1880-1906]
O my God,
Trinity whom I adore,
help me forget myself entirely
and to rest in you,
unmovable and peace
as if my soul were already in eternity.
May nothing be able to trouble my peace
or make me leave you.
O my unchanging God,
but may each minute bring me more deeply
into your mystery!
Grant my soul your peace.
Make it your heaven,
your beloved dwelling and place of your rest.
May I never abandon you there,
but may I be there  whole and entire completely vigilant in my faith,
entirely adoring, and wholly given over
to your creative action.

Sr. Joan Gripshover, OSB


No comments:

Post a Comment