Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Reflecting on the Past


            St. Walburg Monastery saw four sisters go to their eternal reward between Dec. 20, 2012 and March 7, 2013. For a while it seemed weekends and Mondays were reserved for funerals. The loss of good friends, older and younger, can make one increasingly aware of many things. For me one message was “get rid of stuff!” I have begun. To date much has been committed to the shredder but one rediscovered envelope touched my heart with memories.
            At my father’s death in 1990 his correspondence, including that from WWI, was given to my brother. In his correspondence was a letter written in French to my grandmother (as well as its translation) dated October 13, 1918 from the town of Pouille in France. My father was a Marine, wounded in action at Belleau Woods and carried a life-long limp. In those days the wounded were sent to the south of France and later my father told me many stories about that time—of a teacher, Emma Brault, her niece and nephew and treading the wine press. His stories revealed a great admiration and love for the French people. A translation of the letter to my grandmother follows:
                                                                                     13/10/1918
Dear Madame,
            I can’t find words to thank you enough. Instead I am offering you this letter which reflects my deep appreciation for what you have done for our country France.
            Your son came here and I learned to appreciate his feelings for our country. I also asked him to bring you these words of appreciation from us as a souvenir.
            Your act of goodwill, through your loved ones, who are sent here to help our country by sacrificing their lives can be very well seen here.
            The stakes are very high as we try to fight hard in order to maintain our independence. We hope that all this will lead to the end of our misery so we can once again see the peace. We are also hoping for the day that you can see the return of your loved one back home. Meanwhile I promise I’ll do my best so you son will feel at home while he is here in exile.
            You son, by smiling, is sending you also his endless regards. He wants you to be joyful. I would love to receive some news from your other beloved children only if this is not too much to ask. My parents also send you their best regards.         

Emma
            The Armistice ending WWI was signed on November 11, 1918.
            Later in 1940 when Germany occupied France, before the United States entered into World War II, I urged my father to write to the school teacher. He did and received a letter in return—in French. I took it to the French teacher at school who translated it for us. Although I lost that letter, I remember well that it was written by the Emma Brault that my father had spoken of. She told of her niece and nephew and the occupation.
            In these days of “small” wars all over the globe affecting friends and close relatives, these words of a woman of another time speak to the heart.
            Sr. Andrea Collopy, OSB

2 comments:

  1. Thank You so much for such a beautiful reflection. In retrospect, the world has always been unsettled. It is up to us to share kind words and moments to stay focused on what is truly important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and thank you for sharing...speaking of war, I put up a link on my blog about one of our parishioners, Helena Zuber. Through encouragement of one of the Sisters that taught her at the convent school, she became a part of the underground resistance movement in Austria and France. She also told me once that she aided American paratroopers in France.

    ReplyDelete