Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Prodigal


       Sunday, March 10, is the fourth Sunday of Lent, and the readings seem to shout the theme of reconciliation. We hear the story of the prodigal son. It is a story most all of us know well enough to repeat. I read in a commentary by Scott Hahn that, “It is the story of Israel and of the human race. It is the story of every believer.”  
      The only person in the story with whom I want to identify is the Father. What does that say about me? In the culture of the time of the story, the Father would have been considered very foolish indeed. Actually, he was a prodigal father. He was allowing the son to cut himself off from the family, remove himself from the traditional expectation to care for the father in his old age, and to remove himself from the family and community. I am only willing to identify with that part of the Father who dashed out to reconcile with the son and throw a party. 
      How about identifying with one of the sons? Well, maybe the Prodigal Son. At least he came back home. What was his motive? Was it real sorrow or a stomach in great need of being filled? 
      Here I am trying to pray and getting myself backed into a corner. Of course, my motives are not always the purest. Of course I sin and temporarily forget my Baptismal birthright. Amazingly, my story remains true to the Gospel. The Father nudges me and frequently even runs to remind me I am being graced to be reconciled; graced to come back to Him. Even the desire to be reconciled is initiated by the Father. 
      I will soon make a Lenten Confession, experience the warmth of the Father’s embrace and truly strive to be God’s obedient child again. What does the story say to you? 
      Sr. Victoria Eisenman, OSB
Addendum: A sister who read this blog noticed I had not mentioned the 2nd son. Another sister asked me why. Upon reflection I realized that I was in a hurry and didn't take the time to deal with that part of my shadow.I have my friends to be thankful for that insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment